- Routine business occupied the attention of the council last Monday night at the regular meeting. The feature of the session was the large number of petitions that were sent in by citizens in different parts of the city who wanted many things seen to that have been neglected.
- Miss Helen Hannen, violinist Miss Mary Kellogg, pianist and W. Ogden Johnson, celloist left yesterday for Neahtawanta where they will furnish music at the hotel for the summer. This combination makes one of the best three-piece orchestras to be procured. It goes without saying that the resorters may look forward to some good music.
- Grand Rapids and Indiana Engine No. 124 northbound from Cadillac to Petoskey, crashed into the rear of a double header extra freight, inside the Fife Lake city limits Saturday morning. The brakeman who was riding the pilot jumped off the car as did the fireman whose leg was broken above the knee. The fracture was reduced by a physician.
- George Weaver, C. Peck and Will Gilde returned home Saturday after having served on jury duty here. They were seated for three weeks and heard testimony in a half dozen cases.
- A case of extra fine strawberries donated to the cause of development by William Heimforth of Elmwood Township, has been put in glass by the western Michigan Development bureau. These will be kept until the fruit shows this fall and then put upon display that the people of the world may know what fine fruit grows in western Michigan.
- One of the petitions sent to the council to be considered at the last session was a request of Stephen McGarry to be allowed to cut the hay on the property of the Queen City Electric Light and Power plant. It was referred to the committee on ways and means.
- Traverse City can show some products of the soil as well as the much-lauded and famous peninsula and surrounding country. Herman Yorks, at 1058 Webster Street, dug some new potatoes today, one of which measured 7 1/2 inches in circumference.
- George Eddy of Rockford who has been at Pankops Corners for the past two months looking after Mr. Squires’ interests at that place went home Tuesday. He will spend a couple weeks’ vacation there before return to the Corners.
- Miss Clara Thomas, who has been in Loveland, Colorado for the past few years, arrived home Friday and will spend the summer with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Thomas of Northport. She will return to Colorado in September.
- Saturday evening, the Grand Traverse Rebecca Lodge No. 192 I. O. O. F. met for the regular season and elected officers for all assignments. The work of installation was given by B. D. P. Martha Hornsby and Grand Marshall Mary Lotharins.
- Charles Wiles, formerly of this city, died at the Soldiers’ Home in Grand Rapids Wednesday. He is the father of Mrs. J. J. Shier of this city.
- Advice on deportment. It is as unbecoming for a gentleman to sit with legs crossed as it is a lady.
- Medical advice of a century ago. In a general way, having no longer an active life to lead, the aged need merely a diet of maintenance.
Best buy of the week. Long silk gloves, half off at The Barney Co.
Community in Brief: 06/19/2013
Salon Art Show; dinner benefits 4-H group; ISLAND programs; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/18/2013
Breezeway Cruise; quilt show; Barn Market; and more.Continued ...
Community Newsmakers: 06/17/2013
Eight local residents have been nominated for the 2013 National Cherry Festival Distinguished Senior Award.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/17/2013
Ac Paw garage sale donations; Food Bank open house; Grass River events; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/16/2013
Summer crafts; geneaology group meets; Haas Quintet performs; and more.Continued ...
- Saturday, June 15, 2013
Education Newsmakers: 06/15/2013
Jessica Abfalter, 29, of Grayling, a member of NMC’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, the national honor society for two-year colleges, has been named a New Century Scholar and a Guistwhite Scholarship recipient.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/15/2013
School retirees meet; Notable author visits; tai chi in public; and more.Continued ...
- Friday, June 14, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/14/2013
Events at Grass River; renowned trio performs; Jazz at Sunset opens 20th season; and more.Continued ...
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/13/2013
Roller derby; Clean Water group meets; summer reading programs; and more.Continued ...
- Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/12/2013
Healing service; Strawberry Social; Father's Day celebration; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/11/2013
National Geographic exhibit opens; craft fair and car show; DAR meeting; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, June 10, 2013
Service News: 06/10/2013
Air National Guard Airman 1st Class Timothy M. Wigton graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas. He is the son of Douglas Wigton of Cedar and a 2009 graduate of St. Mary’s High School, Lake Leelanau.Continued ...
Community Newsmakers: 06/10/2013
Delta Kappa Gamma, Phi Chapter, recently initiated Ann Rogers as an Honorary Member and Vonnie Seidel as an Active member of their organization.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/10/2013
Musicale scholarship winners perform; family movie; Cemetery books available; and more.Continued ...
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/09/2013
BBQ & Brew Festival; Family Fun Day; Readers Theatre performance; and more.Continued ...
- Saturday, June 8, 2013
Education Newsmakers: 06/08/2013
The Traverse City Optimist Club recently hosted its annual oratorical contest. The winners go on to compete in the Regional Contest. Each student was given four minutes to speak on the topic, “Why My Voice Is Important.”Continued ...
Body and Soul in Brief: 6/8/13
Church picnics; gluten-free group; tent revival; and moreContinued ...
Community in Brief: 06/08/2013
Pico and Chown perform; Petoskey rocks; St. Mary Hannah dinner and festival; and more.Continued ...
- Friday, June 7, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/07/2013
TC Scoops Festival; Roundup Roadshow; kids free fishing day; and more.Continued ...
- Thursday, June 6, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/06/2013
Virtual history tour; Culture series; Opera a la Carte. (Plus more)Continued ...
- Wednesday, June 5, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/05/2013
School retirees meet; Bay Ridge book club; culture series; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/04/2013
Free BATA rides; Savings program information; Farmer's Market opens; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, June 3, 2013
Service News: 06/03/2013
Air Force Airman 1st Class Rebecca J. Robinson graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas. Robinson is the daughter of LuAnn Howell of San Antonio and Brian Robinson of Kalkaska.Continued ...
Community Newsmakers: 06/03/2013
Cecilia Chesney, executive director of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northwestern Michigan, is one of five Michigan residents honored by Art Van Furniture with the Art Van Award of Hope.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/03/2013
League of Women Voters meet; dine at Pearl's and help HERTHA; gentle yoga class; and more.Continued ...
- Community in Brief: 06/19/2013