- The annual Indian camp meeting will be held at Northport from August 9 to 19 and an exceptionally strong program has been prepared for the various days of the long session. The music and singing will be in charge of Louis Shawandace assisted by a large Indian choir. A long list of speakers will make presentations throughout the meeting.
- Two more carloads of pickles were shipped from the pickle station this week at Fife Lake. The crop is especially good this year and a few more shipments are expected to be made.
- Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Jackson, Mr. and Mrs. Clayton Lardie, Mrs. Larkins and daughter and Mrs. C. V. Wright were hostesses to a party of friends at dinner Sunday at the pretty country home of the Wrights on the peninsula. The trip was made from the city by automobile. An elaborate dinner was served with covers laid for twenty-two.
- Miss Bonnie Gordon and Paul Henderson of Grand Rapids visited the former's sister, Mrs. Euphemia Ranchor and family over Sunday.
- Mrs. B. Barrus, Mrs. J. Hawk and daughter, Geraldine, went to Cadillac Thursday. From there Mr. and Mrs. Hawk returned to their house in Lansing with their auto.
- Little Rasaline and Florence Brantigan cunningly surprised their sister, Leona last Thursday evening when about thirty of her young friends walked into the house after she had retired. Games were played until a very late hour when a dainty luncheon was served.
- The red raspberries seem to be the most luscious and plentiful this year. Many growers say that they haven't seen such crops in years.
- Sidney Weaver is putting up a fine new round barn. This is the first round barn that has been built in this section of the state and is causing a great amount of curiosity. A silo is being built in the center of the barn all of which is adding to the interest.
- Miss Nellie Thacker arrived in the city Saturday night from Fremont where she has been teaching. She will visit with friends and relatives here for a week.
- Mr. and Mrs. S. E. Johnson and Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Ashton all of Grand Rapids arrived here in their car last night. They will spend some time at Mr. Ashton's cottage at Birchwood.
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert R. Heath of Chicago, recently arrived in Glen Haven on the barge Muller and went to Cedar Springs lodge to spend some time. They have been regular visitors at that place for a number of years.
- Advice on deportment. On leaving a hall or church at the close of the entertainment or services, the gentleman should precede the lady.
- Medical advice of a century ago. Never use the eyes when such use causes pain in these organs or in the head,
- Best buy of the week. Hosiery, "Onyx" Brand of Plain and Fancy Lace Lisle, 19 cents - 39 cents at the Barney Co.
Community in Brief: 05/19/2013
Beekeepers meeting; Korean War story; Swirl in Petoskey; and more.Continued ...
You're Needed: 05/18/2013
Organizers of the Art Rapids! fair to be held in June in Elk Rapids are seeking host families for some of the artists who will be participating in the event.Continued ...
Community Newsmakers: 05/18/2013
David Barr and Beth Dwaihy-Barr will be honored at the Legacy Gala on Saturday, June 15 at the Novi Civic Center in Novi.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 05/18/2013
Moyers' interview on climate; Short's kick-off party; chamber music on IPR; and more.Continued ...
Education Newsmakers: 05/18/2013
TC Central High School Freshman, Taylor Weckstein, has been named Distinguished Finalist in the 2013 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards in Michigan for the creation of her charitable organization Giving 1 Family at a Time (G.1.F.T).Continued ...
- Friday, May 17, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/17/2013
Travelogue; Kids' Creative Expo; native plant sale; and more.Continued ...
- Thursday, May 16, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/16/2013
International Affairs Forum; Old Engine Club swap meet; art opening; and more.Continued ...
- Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/15/2013
Bethany meeting; Peace Corps get-together; ice cream social and plant sale; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/14/2013
Photo exhibit opens; LIWdA hosts program; film festival; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, May 13, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/13/2013
Antrim Republican Women meet; infant eye exams; Human Rights forum; and more.Continued ...
Service News: 05/13/2013
Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City has been awarded the 2012 MH-65 Aviation Standardization Excellence Award for exemplary performance during their annual standardization evaluation held in September of 2012.Continued ...
- Sunday, May 12, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/12/2013
Kids' books sought; Torch area potluck; wildflower walks; and more.Continued ...
- Saturday, May 11, 2013
Education Newsmakers: 05/11/2013
Traverse City Area Public Schools announced the students selected as 2013 Music Booster and Departmental Scholarship recipients.Continued ...
You're Needed: 05/11/2013
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore will host a kickoff meeting for Adopt-A-Beach volunteers at 2 p.m., Wednesday, May 15, in the Philip A. Hart Visitor Center on M-72 in Empire.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 05/11/2013
Brunch and garden sale; TCAPS Makerspace; Boys book club; and more.Continued ...
- Friday, May 10, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/10/2013
Wings of Wonder program; Mushroom forays; birding hike; and more.Continued ...
- Thursday, May 9, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/09/2013
School open house; lunch for seniors; West Shore Community College graduation; and more.Continued ...
- Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/08/2013
Kingsley Library Friends meet; Dance Center concerts; shimmy class for seniors; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/07/2013
Father Fred sale; help Goodwill Inn; Genealogy meeting; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, May 6, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/06/2013
Library Friends meet; school road rally; Railroad Society meets; and more.Continued ...
Service News: 05/06/2013
Marine Corps Pvt. Jesse J. Jensen, son of Yolonda Garr of Clarksville, Tenn., and Vince Jensen, of Fife Lake, earned the title of United States Marine after graduating from recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S. C.Continued ...
Education Newsmakers: 05/06/2013
The following is a partial list of area students named on the Dean’s List at Central Michigan University for the Fall 2012 semester:Continued ...
- Sunday, May 5, 2013
Community in Brief: 05/05/2013
Raven Hill open house; Benzie lecture; Green Elk Rapids program; and more.Continued ...
- Saturday, May 4, 2013
You're Needed: 05/04/2013
The East Jordan Freedom Festival, planned for Wednesday, June 19, through Saturday, June 22, is in need of volunteers for a number of duties.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 05/04/2013
Benefit concert; online privacy program; MS support group; and more.Continued ...
- Community in Brief: 05/19/2013