- Kayla Kermode, of Maple City, recently graduated from Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, Calif.
- The following students received scholarships from the Glen Lake Women’s Club. The following were awarded $1,500 scholarships to Northwestern Michigan College: Madison Gerding, Casey Kahler, Marriah Sobczak, Robert Peplinski, Nathan Therrien, Brittany Noonan, Cheryle Harrington, Shane Carlson, and Austin Flees. A $1,000 scholarship went to a 2011 winner, Karoline Griffard. Andrew Gutzka won the $2,000 Jeanine Wessinger Dean Scholarship. Sarah Scarborough and Logan Marr won scholarships to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp. GLWC will also donate $1,000 to the Laker Leadership Retreat, their program for ninth-graders.
- Jennifer Chantalle Ghering recently graduated from Lake Superior State University, cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in Psychology, with minors in substance abuse counseling and criminal justice. She will pursue her master’s degree at Grand Valley State University in Traverse City at the Northwestern Michigan College University Center campus.
- The Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District Career-Tech Center student and Kingsley High School graduate Makya Voight earned his second consecutive state champion title in Marine Service Technology during the Annual Skills USA State Leadership Conference held in Lansing.
- Seven Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District Career-Tech Center students earned top awards in the National Cherry Festival 2012 Art Competition: Brook Olesnavage, Leland High School; Marissa Lindsay, Home Schooled; Nicole Ballard, Benzie High School; Molly Longton, Traverse City West Senior High; Mandy Collins, Kalkaska High School; Julius Bush, Elk Rapids High School; Devyn Mathias, Kingsley High School.
Alumni from three different decades have been named as Northwestern Michigan College’s 2012 Outstanding Alumni: Kathleen McManus, who earned a nursing degree in 1974 and is now executive vice president and chief operating officer at Munson Medical Center; Steven Rawlings, a 1991 aviation alumnus who is now regional manager of corporate and government affairs for DTE Energy; Timothy Young, a 1982 graduate who is founder, president and chef of Food For Thought, Benzie County-based creators of organic and wild-harvested gourmet specialty foods.
Community in Brief: 06/18/2013
Breezeway Cruise; quilt show; Barn Market; and more.Continued ...
Community Newsmakers: 06/17/2013
Eight local residents have been nominated for the 2013 National Cherry Festival Distinguished Senior Award.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/17/2013
Ac Paw garage sale donations; Food Bank open house; Grass River events; and more.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/16/2013
Summer crafts; geneaology group meets; Haas Quintet performs; and more.Continued ...
Education Newsmakers: 06/15/2013
Jessica Abfalter, 29, of Grayling, a member of NMC’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, the national honor society for two-year colleges, has been named a New Century Scholar and a Guistwhite Scholarship recipient.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/15/2013
School retirees meet; Notable author visits; tai chi in public; and more.Continued ...
- Friday, June 14, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/14/2013
Events at Grass River; renowned trio performs; Jazz at Sunset opens 20th season; and more.Continued ...
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/13/2013
Roller derby; Clean Water group meets; summer reading programs; and more.Continued ...
- Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/12/2013
Healing service; Strawberry Social; Father's Day celebration; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/11/2013
National Geographic exhibit opens; craft fair and car show; DAR meeting; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, June 10, 2013
Service News: 06/10/2013
Air National Guard Airman 1st Class Timothy M. Wigton graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas. He is the son of Douglas Wigton of Cedar and a 2009 graduate of St. Mary’s High School, Lake Leelanau.Continued ...
Community Newsmakers: 06/10/2013
Delta Kappa Gamma, Phi Chapter, recently initiated Ann Rogers as an Honorary Member and Vonnie Seidel as an Active member of their organization.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/10/2013
Musicale scholarship winners perform; family movie; Cemetery books available; and more.Continued ...
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/09/2013
BBQ & Brew Festival; Family Fun Day; Readers Theatre performance; and more.Continued ...
- Saturday, June 8, 2013
Education Newsmakers: 06/08/2013
The Traverse City Optimist Club recently hosted its annual oratorical contest. The winners go on to compete in the Regional Contest. Each student was given four minutes to speak on the topic, “Why My Voice Is Important.”Continued ...
Body and Soul in Brief: 6/8/13
Church picnics; gluten-free group; tent revival; and moreContinued ...
Community in Brief: 06/08/2013
Pico and Chown perform; Petoskey rocks; St. Mary Hannah dinner and festival; and more.Continued ...
- Friday, June 7, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/07/2013
TC Scoops Festival; Roundup Roadshow; kids free fishing day; and more.Continued ...
- Thursday, June 6, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/06/2013
Virtual history tour; Culture series; Opera a la Carte. (Plus more)Continued ...
- Wednesday, June 5, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/05/2013
School retirees meet; Bay Ridge book club; culture series; and more.Continued ...
- Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/04/2013
Free BATA rides; Savings program information; Farmer's Market opens; and more.Continued ...
- Monday, June 3, 2013
Service News: 06/03/2013
Air Force Airman 1st Class Rebecca J. Robinson graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas. Robinson is the daughter of LuAnn Howell of San Antonio and Brian Robinson of Kalkaska.Continued ...
Community Newsmakers: 06/03/2013
Cecilia Chesney, executive director of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northwestern Michigan, is one of five Michigan residents honored by Art Van Furniture with the Art Van Award of Hope.Continued ...
Community in Brief: 06/03/2013
League of Women Voters meet; dine at Pearl's and help HERTHA; gentle yoga class; and more.Continued ...
- Sunday, June 2, 2013
Community in Brief: 06/02/2013
June Night of Harmony; Ice Cream Social and Family Fun Day; and more.Continued ...
- Community in Brief: 06/18/2013