West Shore Medical Center recently celebrated its 40th anniversary at its present location in Manistee.
The history of the hospital began with the Canfield and Filer lumber families, who provided monetary support for the design and construction of Mercy Hospital in the late 1880s.
In the 1950s, it became Mercy Community Hospital following a major expansion, and in 1970, West Shore Hospital began operations at 1465 E. Parkdale Ave.
Today the hospital is staffed by 350 associates, 51 primary-care and specialty-services physicians and more than 120 volunteers.
A full range of services are available through West Shore Medical Center facilities, which include the Northwest Michigan Health Center, West Shore Health Connections, Bear Lake Outpatient Services, Onekama Area Health Center, Wellston Outpatient Services and the West Shore Outreach Laboratory.
Tammi Saywell and Stacy Simko recently celebrated their 10-year anniversaries at Digestive Health Associates of Northern Michigan.
Saywell came to DHA as a receptionist and quickly moved into the patient accounts department. She troubleshoots insurances claims for patients and also is responsible for patient accounts, collections and all aspects of the medical billing process.
Simko began at DHA as a co-op student through TBA. She has held numerous positions in the organization and currently works as the chart abstractor, entering information from paper charts into the new electronic health record system. She is continuing her education through Baker College and plans to become a registered nurse.